Nov 6, 2008

Extractions all done!

Posted by DeVille |

Well, at 9pm last night the phone rings, and it's my dentist calling to tell me she got the letter from my ortho that day, and wondered whether I wanted to come in half an hour early the next day and get the extractions done instead of just the dental fitness exam.

Heck yes I did, so I sit here having just had my 4 second premolars removed, desperately kicking myself for not going to buy some soft food last night as everything in the house has a corner or chewiness of some kind (thanks heavens for having the most wonderful parents on earth who are bringing some food around for me).

The extractions themselves were nothing compared to the injections, but I experienced more than one set of palpitations as my dentist did her work, especially on the first one, where I had no idea at all what to expect. Again, thank goodness for my dad, who offered to drive me there and back just in case I had a panic attack. I didn't but I'm still glad he was there because I was numb from my nose down.

All in all the experience just felt a lot of tugging back and forward. Initially this freaked me out as I was thinking... My Buddha! If this is just her loosening them, what the heck will the pulling out be like!!! In fact, I felt nothing when they came out at all so after that first one, I felt a lot better. When she moved onto the second one, I convinced myself she had the wrong tooth as I could feel a lot of pressure on my canine, but of course it was fine. The whole extraction experience took about 5 minutes, and the check up was the normal 30 mins. The total cost of the check up (including xrays) and extractions was $805.

I called the ortho as soon as I was able to speak coherently, and I've got my dates! I go in on Friday 21st Nov to get my spacers, and then I go back on the 28th to be banded!

0 comments:

Subscribe